Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My new classes!

So today is day two which means I have had all of my classes. I'm pretty pumped about them all.
First on Monday/Wednesday/Fridays I have Statistics at 10:30. As you can imagine I was pretty nervous for the class that is famous for tears shed and exams failed. But Professor Urdan who looks a little bit too much like Bob Saget made everyones nerves disappear. The man is amazing. He HATED stats and didn't take a single math class all through college. He hated his stats class so much that he wrote his own book "Statistics in Plain English" so that he could prevent some poor college sap (me) to hate stats as much as he did. A huge chunk of our grade is homework that he gives full credit for effort and couldn't care less if your answers are correct. There is also a TA in the class to help with homework or studying. This, I am still unclear about because there are only 22 people in the class so I'm not really sure why a TA in necessary. But whatever one more person to help! After that class I book it to Physics. This class I am far less excited about. Prof Daffer is no Mr. Moran my fabulous high school Physics class. The class in for non science majors so its pretty dumbed down and all the topics we'll be learning I learned my sophomore year of high school so I'm banking on it all coming back. The prof is pretty serious but there are only 13 people in the class and all girls so it'll be an interesting dynamic.
On Tuesdays/Thursdays I start at 9:55 with Race/Class/Gender in the US. The class sounded really interesting and still may be, but honestly after day one I don't have high hopes. It seems sociology is REALLY interesting the first time you take it, then every other class is like "ok I get it. Social Constructs are everywhere. cool." This is not a good mind set to have being that I'm still planning on majoring in Soc. We'll see. My last class is going to be my favorite by far! It is taught by Diane Dreher the same fabulous lady who taught me English one. But now the reigns are off and she is free to teach what she wants in an upper division. She is so chill and wants you to discover yourself. Her vocation is helping people find their vocations. Its pretty fabulous. So some ok classes some interesting classes and a fabulous class. Should be an interesting quarter.

No comments: