Saturday, September 22, 2007

Im still alive... but why does that need to be said?

Two nights ago I stopped breathing. My tonsils finally got so big my throat closed and I woke up cause I wasn't breathing. It was quite alarming so I got to the CF on the hall and she called the campus EMT's since I couldn't talk. They put me on oxygen and called the real EMT's who called the Paramedics and they loaded me up in the ambulance and we were off to the ER. A little scary going to the ER all by myself knowing that no one was on their way. I got poked with needles a hundred times since I was so dehydrated my veins were almost collapsed. Soon they had an IV in one arm and blood being drawn from the other so I couldn't talk or write so it felt like I was in another country where i couldn't communicate with anyone. It was awesome. Thank god for meditation because except for when the nurse was stabbing at my arm to find a vein, or when she made me swallow a pill before giving me something to make my tonsils smaller, or when she gave me the most painful hip shot of my life I was fine:) The rest of the time when I was just scared and in pain I was able to breath out of it and keep my cool. After they kicked me out of my bed, I was instructed to walk to the front desk and get a taxi. I passed out in the waiting room so they called the taxi for me. How sweet of them:) Once I got back to the dorm at 6 in the morning my friend Michael helped me up the stairs and I passed out until about 2. I'm ok now. The drugs they gave me at the hospital to make the swelling go down are working fine. I can actually swallow jello now. It takes awhile but I can do it. Game plan: sleep all weekend and then go see the doc again on Monday to see our next steps are. Hopefully my tonsils can hang in there until December so I don't have to miss any more school. All in all I think it was a great test on my inner peace and independence. I'm pretty sure I passed.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Hey kid, Well nothing like a litte "I'm all along and bad sh-t is happen", to start your first week it college. But sounds like your doing better...just remember what dosen't kill you makes you sick....LOL..
So as with everything, roadtrips, the house, working a job, I have a few rule about living along.
1. If you're out of money stay home and do your laundry. You bound to find $20 in a pair of dirty jeans.

2. Never go anywhere were you don't know the way home. Nothing worst then having to sleep in a strange bed or the back of your car.

3. Learn to cook. Food poisoning is a ugly way to die.

4. Talk to a family member at lease once a week.

5. If your really sick or hurt call 911.

Last but not lease
6. Hide a key to your house were you can get to it if your locked out.

Kiwi said...

Well hell, Morgan -

That's not the way it was supposed to go your first week! Grandma sent me an email telling me you weren't feeling so well (understatement?) Then I talked to your mom today for an update. Sounds like a bunch of caring folks at the ER- walk and take a taxi- give me a break! Gary wants to know what drugs they gave you and what drugs you are taking now - so if you feel up to it, let me know. I also hope you can hang in there until December so you can have the surgery while you are home with your mom, in your own bed and have time to rest and recover. Keep us posted.

Gary and I got back from Minnesota late last night. Picked up Jesse and she's crashed at my feet. All of us are glad to be home but it's still 95 hot and humid degrees here. It's going to be so much nicer when we are in Soquel in 10 days (but who's counting). Can't wait to see you so you'd better still be there.

Let us know if there is anything we can do from here. We'll keep checking your blog for updates. Or you can always call us at home or on our cells. Take care, get better, we love ya!

Kiwi