Friday, November 2, 2007

Catholic?

Coming to this Catholic college I had a lot of preconcieved notions about what these "Jesuits" would think, believe, talk about. I have a few friends that are Catholic, I have Catholic relatives, I've read A LOT of the Bible, and I thought I knew enough to get by. Turns out I was wrong. I thought most, if not all Catholics were pretty conservative on a lot of issues. I thought most, if not all believed in the Bible pretty literally. My Christian Traditions class is taught by a Jesuit, Father Reites. He talks about evolution, the big bang, and how most of the bible has to be read with the context in mind. Not really the uber conservative hermenutics I was expecting, but I like it. This openess is what I have always believed in. I believe in God. I know God is real, proven by the fact that everyone, in different cultures, on different continents, they all have this hole they fill with some sort of religion or diety. I really believe all religions hold a bit of truth, they all point to the same great power. Surprisingly my Jesuit teacher talks about the same thing.

1 comment:

mamanicky said...

Pretty cool! There's no denying the power of faith. Just having to trust that there is a God is hard for some people. I don't know why some (read professors/intellectuals) feel like they have to divorce science and spirtuality. It's all one thing. Maybe we just can't see all the sides. So, as long as we realize we don't have all the answers than I think we're on the right path.